Following on from the driving ‘Flange Face’, L.A. beat maverick The Gaslamp Killer has announced full details of his new album.
GLK is the man behind the city’s Low End Theory club, arguably the epicentre of the beatmaking revival that’s spread like influenza in the last few years. He’s a fantastic selector (cf 2008′s I Spit On Your Grave) and an inspired producer, as we saw on Gonjasufi’s A Sufi And A Killer. His music – sometimes playful, often malevolent – fuses esoteric samples with contemporary digital head-snap.
New album Breakthrough is the follow-up to 2010′s varied Death’s Gate EP, and GLK’s got a formidable supporting cast on the record. Desert mumbler Gonjasufi lends his pipes to proceedings, and dapper experimentalist Daedelus gets a co-production credit on ‘Impulse’. Samiyam, Computer Jay and Dimlite are among the leftfield producers also tagging along for the ride. Flying Lotus collaborator Miguel Atwood-Ferguson, RSI, Adrian Younge & MMR, RSI and Amir Yaghmai will also crop up in the liner notes.
Breakthrough will arrive on September 17 on Brainfeeder.
1. Breakthrough Intro
2. Veins (with Gonjasufi)
3. Holy Mt Washington (with Computer Jay)
5. Critic (with Mophono)
6. Dead Vets (with Adrian Younge & MRR)
7. Flange Face (with Miguel Atwood-Ferguson)
9. Apparitions (with Gonjasufi)
10. Impulse (with Daedelus)
11. Peasants, Cripples & Retards (with SAMIYAM)
12. Meat Guilt (with RSI)
14. Nissim (with Amir Yaghmai)
15. Keep It Simple Stupid (with Shigeto)
16. Seven Years of Bad Luck for Fun (with Dimlite)
17. In the Dark…