Lucky concert photographers are no longer being threatened with having their equipment destroyed.
After negotiations between the singer’s representatives and groups representing photographers and news organisations, Taylor Swift has relaxed the restrictive rules for photographers covering her 1989 tour.
The National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) said last night (July 21) they had worked with Swift’s representatives to come up with new agreement which makes it clear that photographers will be able to reuse their shots and states that it “does NOT transfer copyright away from you, the photographer or publication”.
The revised contract also removes the right for Swift’s representatives to destroy images and confiscate equipment if photographers breached the terms.
“After taking the time to hear our concerns regarding her world tour photography guidelines agreement, the news and professional associations and Taylor’s team are very pleased to have been able to work together for a revised agreement that is fair to everyone involved,” said Mickey Osterreicher, general counsel for the NPPA.
Swift was accused of hypocrisy last month for imposing unusually strict restrictions on photographers at the same time as she was criticising Apple Music for attempting not to pay artists during the three-month free trial.
Photographer Jason Sheldon called the contract a “complete rights grab” in an open letter to the singer. Swift’s UK spokesperson later maintained that the contract had been “misrepresented” by enraged photographers.