Latest Stories

Broke with expensive taste.

50 Cent was ordered to appear at a US Bankruptcy Court in Connecticut yesterday (March 10), after questions were raised over the bankrupt rapper’s financial reporting.

50, aka Curtis Jackson III, was summoned by Judge Ann Nevins to explain why photos showing him with piles of cash spelling ‘broke’ and a since-deleted video of his new mansion in Africa were posted on Instagram four months ago, despite him having filed for bankruptcy last July. 

Jackson’s lawyers repeated their claim that the cash depicted in the post was not real but instead made use of “stage or prop money,” which is “routinely used in the entertainment industry, including in movies, television shows, videos and social media postings.”

They said the posts were “part of the Debtor’s routine social media marketing activities and relate directly to the Debtor’s various business interests.”

The Daily Mail has obtained court documents in which 50 Cent admits to lying about the house in Africa: “I do not own, nor have I ever owned, any real property in Africa. If I did own any property in Africa or any other real properties, I would have disclosed them as required by the Bankruptcy Code.'”

Nevins didn’t rule on the request but scheduled a status conference for April 6.

Jackson filed for bankruptcy last year after a New York City jury ordered him to pay $5 million to a woman who said he posted her sex tape online. Although he may have acquired some funds from the sale of his Connecticut mansion this month, which is reportedly being turned into an assisted living facility.

Show Comments

Latest Stories

+