Originally published on The Vinyl Factory
Published earlier this week, Nielsen’s mid-year report details a climate of falling album sales in every format except vinyl, which is up 11%. But what is everyone buying?
Unsurprisingly, David Bowie’s parting Blackstar gift is the best selling vinyl record of 2016 with 57,000 purchases so far. To put that into context, the album has already sold better than last year’s most popular items, bar two releases: Adele’s 25 and Taylor Swift’s 1989.
25, which was the best selling vinyl release of 2015 with 116,000 album sales, is having another strong year with 36,000 sales under its belt already. Below find the top 10 list of 2016’s best selling vinyl albums so far.
2016’s mid-year top 10 selling vinyl albums:
1. David Bowie, Blackstar (57,000)
2. Adele, 25 (36,000)
3. Twenty One Pilots, Blurryface (31,000)
4. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black (27,000)
5. Bob Marley & The Wailers, Legend: The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers (23,000)
6. Kendrick Lamar, To Pimp a Butterfly (22,000)
7. The Beatles, Abbey Road (21,000)
8. Twenty One Pilots, Vessel (20,000)
9. Miles Davis, Kind of Blue (19,000)
10. The Lumineers, Cleopatra (19,000)