John Talabot sees in his debut album, ƒin, with a storming mix for FACT.
It’s hard to put a tag on John Talabot’s music. The Barcelona-based producer has released a steady stream of underground house records since 2009; they’re as deep as they come but they’re certainly not deep house, and despite all those gloriously uplifting riffs, there’s nothing big room about them. Often, they seem like pop records stretched to breaking point; each melody or key shift teased out for maximum dramatic effect. God knows really, but they murder a dancefloor.
Talabot’s released on a few labels in his time, Permanent Vacation, Young Turks and his own Hivern Discs imprint, but its to the former he’s turned to release ƒin, a remarkable debut album that takes the late night inner-city vibes of producers like Burial and Convextion but splashes gold paint over those midnight blues and greys. The result is one of the saddest, but also most inspiring records of 2012 so far.
Talabot’s FACT mix doesn’t feature much of his own material – though there’s a killer re-edit of Shakarchi & Stranéus at its centre-point – but there’s enough Beautiful Swimmers, Omar-S, Jus Ed and Blondes in that tracklist for you to know you’re in more than good hands. ƒin is out now.
FACT mix 315 – John Talabot
1. Phase 6 – Deep Motion
2. Mental – I want to Know Where Dub Is
3. Chateau Marmont – Nibiru (Beautiful Swimmers Late Night Dubbing Mix)
4. Warpaint – Undertow (N C Remix)
5. Rekid – Next Stop Chicago
6. Cos Ber Zam – Ne Noya (Daphni edit)
7. Jersey Devil Club – Hommage at 128
8. Cole Medina – We Call it Good to me
9. Sun La Shan – Catch (Dub version)
10. Jus Ed – 10 Am mix
11. Shakarchi & Stranéus – It’s my love (John Talabot Redrumedit)
12. African Dreams – Make a Living
13. Lovebirds – Keep coming (Axel Boman Remix)
14. Dauwd – Acireams
15. Soft Rocks – Magic Milk (Beautiful Swimmers Remix)
16. Omar S, Ob Ignitt – Wayne County Hill Cop’s
17. Dream 2 Science – My Love Turns to Liquid
18. Projekt : PM – When the Voices Comes
19. Blondes – Water (Bicep remix)
20. NAD – Distant Drums