Jesse Hughes was kicked out of tonight’s reopening.

Paris’ Bataclan venue reopened tonight, one year after the terror attack during an Eagles of Death Metal show that saw gunmen kill 90 and injure hundreds more. The group’s frontman Jesse Hughes, however, was not welcome at tonight’s memorial show after alleging earlier this year that venue staff were involved in plotting the attack. Hughes was “thrown out” after turning up unannounced, the venue said.

“They came, I threw them out—there are things you can’t forgive,” Bataclan co-director Jules Frutos told AFP. “He makes these incredibly false declarations every two months. It is madness, accusing our security of being complicit with the terrorists… Enough. Zero. This has to stop.”

NRA member and Donald Trump supporter Hughes had expressed interest in being the first band to perform at the venue when it reopened. Instead, Sting was placed on the bill for the venue’s reopening, after the Eagles of Death Metal musician suggested that “six or seven” Bataclan workers had not turned up to the gig on the night of November 13, 2015, because they knew an attack was imminent.

“When I first got to the venue and walked in, I walked past the dude who was supposed to be the security guard for the backstage,” Hughes said in March. “He didn’t even look at me. I immediately went to the promoter and said, ‘Who’s that guy? I want to put another dude on.’ He said, ‘Well, some of the other guards aren’t here yet.’ And eventually, I found out that six or so wouldn’t show up at all.

“Out of respect for the police still investigating, I won’t make a definite statement, but I’ll say that it seems like they had a reason not to show up.” Hughes later apologised for his “baseless” remarks, deemed “insane” by Bataclan owners and widely criticised by survivors of the attack. He has yet to apologise, however, for appearing to use the tragedy to promote a pro-gun agenda, calling for looser firearm laws in Europe after the attack.

“Did your French gun control stop a single fucking person from dying at the Bataclan?,” Hughes said in an interview with French TV station iTELE in February. “If someone can answer yes, I’d like to hear it.”

Last month it was announced the band are to make a documentary about the attack.

Latest Stories

Latest Stories

Share Tweet
+