The master craftsmen at The Vinyl Factory have produced two deluxe vinyl editions of Air’s latest album, Le Voyage Dans La Lune.
The first of these is a lavish collectors’ box set, limited to just 300 copies, containing four 180g vinyl records and a DVD of the 1902 silent film that inspired the music on the album, and gave it its title. Air were commissioned to create an original musical accompaniment for a newly discovered colour print of Georges Méliès‘ iconic 16-minute short, which is often regarded as the first ever sci-fi film; the restored print and Air’s soundtrack premiered at Cannes on May 11, 2011, to considerable acclaim.
The French duo subsequently developed and expanded the work in their Paris studio, calling upon the vocal talents of Au Revoir Simone and Beach House‘s Victoria Legrand.
The box set is available to pre-order now, priced £200, with an official release date of April 16.
* Bespoke cloth covered clamshell-style box with AIR logo foiled on front cover
* 4 x 180-gram heavyweight vinyl records, containing the AIR album
* 4 x bespoke record sleeves with screen printed UV finish, each featuring exclusive artwork of the hand-painted coloured still frames taken from the film
* Exclusive art print of iconic Le Voyage Dans La Lune moon image taken from the hand-painted coloured still film frame, hand numbered and individually signed by Nicholas Godin and Jean-Benoit Dunckel of AIR
* DVD of the restored 15-minute film, housed in bespoke pochette with artwork taken from Le Voyage Dans La Lune.
The deluxe gatefold edition, priced £30, features the album pressed on 180g vinyl and housed in a bespoke gatefold sleeve with exclusive artwork. It’s due out March 26 and is also available to pre-order now.
* Bespoke Gatefold Vinyl Sleeve with exclusive artwork taken from the hand-painted still frames of Le Voyage Dans La Lune
* 180-gram heavyweight vinyl
* DVD of restored film, with full original AIR soundtrack