British artist Phil Collins’ ambitious project gets a compilation release.
In the upcoming edition of Italian magazine NERO, British artist Phil Collins has debuted a fascinating musical culmination to a years long project titled my heart’s in my hand, and my hand is pierced, and my hand’s in the bag, and the bag is shut, and my heart is caught which has acquired a number of great contributing artists including Stereolab‘s Lætitia Sadier, Demdike Stare, Peaking Lights, Heroin In Tahiti, Planningtorock and more. Now you can stream it exclusively below.
The project originated in 2013 when Collins installed a phone booth in a Cologne homeless shelter. The phone was available day and night, free-to-use for local and international calls on the condition that calls would be recorded and anonymized. Those recordings were then given to the artists included below who used them as jumping off points to create my heart’s in my hand…‘s 15 haunting tracks. Though it’s a project with so voices and minds involved, Collins’ tremendous vision hold everything together to create a unique album of deep feeling.
my heart’s in my hand, and my hand is pierced, and my hand’s in the bag, and the bag is shut, and my heart is caught is available July 22 in the new edition of NERO, which you can order here. Stream it in full below and look through the tracklisting to see all the artists involved.
02. Planningtorock – ‘Conversation 192’
03. David Sylvian – ‘Do You Know Me Now’
04. Elektronische Musik aus: Köln – ‘Maya?’
05. Demdike Stare – ‘Relativity’
06. Heroin In Tahiti – ‘ALO’
07. Julia Hummer & Pluramon – ‘Out There’
08. Peaking Lights – ‘Crossed Signals’
09. Scritti Politti – ‘Untitled’
10. Pye Corner Audio – ‘Hiss Narrative’
11. Lætitia Sadier – ‘Lost And Found’
12. Maria Minerva – ‘Take You Home’
13. Damon & Naomi – ‘I Never Knew I Always Knew’
14. Cologne Tape – ‘Flutes By Phil Collins’