The band claim Hook still receives his full share of back catalogue royalties.

New Order have issued a statement regarding ex-member Peter Hook’s decision to sue the band for £2.3 million in royalties.

Hook claimed yesterday (November 30) that he lost out when the band set up a company to manage the band’s income without him back in 2011, and has accused Bernard Sumner and Stephen and Gillian Morris of “pillaging” the group’s assets.

“Obviously the band are disappointed that Peter is pursuing this claim in this particular way,” the band told the NME in a statement. “The reports so far take a number of things out of context. Peter still, for instance, receives his full share of all back catalogue royalties. This dispute relates only to the share of income he takes from our work without him since 2011.”

“Not much more we can say as nothing has been decided by the Court on the facts other than he has a right to proceed with the claim, so this matter is still in play.”

“We’re getting on with life and concentrating on touring and promoting our new album.”

Hook left New Order 2007, and in 2011, the remaining three members created a new company and granted it worldwide exclusive rights to the New Order name and related sources of income for a decade – a move Hook’s lawyer has described as “clandestine, premeditated and deliberate.” Hook is currently receiving 1.25% of the band’s income, but he wants up to 12.5%, or wants to “rejoin the band.”

The band have maintained that Hook has been treated fairly, but Judge David Cooke has ruled that the complaint can move to a full trial at the High Court.

Speaking to Rolling Stone, Hook says: “I’m naturally delighted with the decision made on my application to the High Court in London last week. It found in my favour and justifies the stance I have taken. The Judge made a number of important points when giving his judgment and rejected a lot of the Defendants’ submissions. Both sides’ costs in this case are very substantial. I was obviously pleased that the Judge ordered the Defendants to pay mine. I’m very happy with the outcome and it bodes well for the future. I am grateful to my legal team for the hard work which went into achieving this judgement.”

New Order recently released Music Complete, their first album in a decade.

Latest Stories

Latest

Share Tweet
+