The Dave Grohl-directed documentary will be joined by an absolutely loaded companion album.
The erstwhile Foo Fighter will premiere his documentary about the legendary Los Angeles recording studio at Sundance in January, and as previously reported, the artists testifying to the studio’s greatness is impressive. Equally impressive is the tracklist for the accompanying Sound City – Real to Reel.
Grohl is joined on the album by Trent Reznor, Queens of the Stone Age’s Josh Homme, Alain Johannes, Rick Springfield, and members of Foo Fighters and Rage Against the Machine. Most notably, the song performed by Paul McCartney and the surviving members of Nirvana at the 12.12.12 benefit concert, ‘Cut Me Some Slack’, is included (and is available now, as a single). Closing track ‘Mantra’ features Grohl, Reznor, and Homme; the three have all contributed to the forthcoming Queens of the Stone Age album.
The soundtrack is due out March 12 via Grohl’s own Roswell Records; the tracklist follows the film’s trailer. [via CoS]
Sound City – Real to Reel:
01. Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes, and Robert Levon Been – “Heaven and All”
02. Brad Wilk, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Tim Commerford – “Time Slowing Down”
03. Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks, and Taylor Hawkins – “You Can’t Fix This”
04. Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield, and Taylor Hawkins – “The Man That Never Was”
04. Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Lee Ving, Pat Smear, and Taylor Hawkins – “Your Wife Is Calling”
06. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, and Scott Reeder – “From Can to Can’t”
07. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – “Centipede”
08. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – “A Trick With No Sleeve”
09. Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Pat Smear – “Cut Me Some Slack”
10. Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, and Rami Jaffee – “Once Upon a Time… The End”
11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – “Mantra”